Homestay is the best way to experience the Australian way of life. Living with an Australian family will help you become immersed in the culture, enjoy the companionship of local people, make new friends, settle into the environment and routines easily, and use your English skills in everyday situations.
Melbourne is a multicultural city, and our host families come from many different cultural backgrounds, but their primary language must be English.
We have over 100 host families who have been thoroughly checked and registered by our Homestay Officer. The following checks are carried out to ensure your stay is safe and enjoyable:
- All people aged 18 years or over who are resident in your homestay household (excluding other international students) are checked by the Australian Police.
- All host families hold a Working With Children Check, which is a national screening program to ensure they have no criminal or professional conduct misdemeanours.
- Inspections of housing and facilities to ensure they are suitable and of a high standard.
- Confirmation that a homestay carer will provide a secure physical and emotional environment.
Our Homestay Officer undertakes a careful selection process (based on information you provide) to match you to the perfect host family. Host families are given advice on how to provide the best residential services to international students.
Your host family will provide you with:
- A safe environment
- Three meals per day (seven days a week)
- Private bedroom
- Daily conversation and social interaction
- Assistance with your study
As well as placing our students with homestay families, our Homestay Officer is available to talk to you if you need advice about adjusting to family life in Australia.
Would you like to host our students? Please click here to download the Homestay Application Form.